Thursday, June 12, 2014

Traveling with babies

It's been a really long time since I posted on this blog, but I recently sent a very detailed list to a friend about traveling with her new baby on an airplane. Many people have asked me about this topic, and so I wanted to start a little series on this blog about traveling and living in new places with kids! I have lived in 2 different countries, and 3 different cities since having my kids, and my oldest son (3.5 yo) has been on upwards of 30 flights. My daughter (13m) has been on 6. 

I wrote a very detailed play by play (something I wished I had before embarking on my first flight with a baby when Camden was 6 months old. It can be very scary because you just don't know what to expect. Well, rest easy, now you will know! And as my mom always said, the flight will eventually end!

Feed baby (and yourself!) well before leaving for airport. Upon arrival, place baby in carrier (Ergo or Ring Sling) so it's easy to get on/off if they make you take baby out at security. I prefer ergo so you can go potty easily if you are alone) and have a backpack carry-on, or one that will easily set on top of the rolling suitcase you will be checking. Check bag/car seat. Airline will give you a large plastic bag for a car seat if you need to check one. I always prefer to see if I can borrow one wherever I am going or rent one from a cab company. If you have a stroller, wait until you get to the gate and ask for a tag to check it at the gate. You will drop it off right before you get on the plane. 

Proceed to security. They will let you go in the family, medical, liquids lane. Slip on shoes are easier with the carrier on. Have your formula/baby food/breast milk in a bottle out separately or in a plastic bag in case they want to test it. If you have all powder and water in bottles, they shouldn't care. They may do a dipstick test for the water/breast milk. I have taken water bottles for kids and they just dip a stick and say you are good to go. You might need to allow a few extra minutes for that in case they are backed up. They will have you proceed through scanner with baby still in ergo (They have never asked me to take baby out of ergo/carrier to go through security), and hold your hands palms up after you go through so they can swipe them for bomb traces. They will know you are an avid flyer w baby when you do that and not second guess you! :) Get carry on and re load formula/baby food, etc! Head to pee before getting on plane. It's really annoying to try and go in airplane bathroom with carrier on. Get on plane when they board family boarding or before if you have A group (southwest). Try to score an aisle so you can ask flight attendant easily if you need anything. Place carry on at your feet so it's accessible and ergo up top (or at your feet) in case you do need to pee again! I always want to keep baby on normal feeding schedule so I never nurse or feed at take off or landing if it wasn't time to eat. The paci is the same idea if baby will take one! If not, you can nurse/feed if baby is unsettled. I have never noticed it "messing" with either of my kids' ears. You can use the seat to place baby down before you get off if you need to load bags, get carrier on, etc. Get your suitcase and pee again before getting in car to drive home! Yay! You did it!!!

Packing for carry-on bag:
I put all my different items in separate gallon-zip locs so I can find things easily. 
Snacks for you! (In their own zip-loc) Easy to eat w one hand while holding baby (granola bars, sandwich, etc).
Put a book on your iphone to read if baby falls asleep! Regular book is too hard to read one-handed.
Formula/bottles in a separate zip-loc (I would make 2 extra than you need just in case!)
Paci's in a case or zip-loc in inside/outside zipper compartment of carry-on
A few toys/books (I don't usually have those in a zip-loc bag)
Extra clothes for baby (2 outfits for a domestic flight) and an extra shirt/pants if you want, for you (in case you get pooped/peed on!). Has happened to me more than once!
Blanket in case it's cold for baby. If he's bothered by the light, sometimes I put a blanket over my shoulder and their face to block some light. I always wear pants and layer tops.
Diaper clutch, w 2 diapers, that you can easily take to airplane bathroom (front bathroom is usually the one with the changing table). When you walk in look on the left wall, and it folds off from the wall. Put hand sanitizer in that clutch to use when you get back to your seat bc it's nearly impossible to wash your hands holding a baby!
I put a separate zip-loc in my carry on with 8-10 diapers and extra wipes so I can refill my clutch after I use those. In case you get stranded on tar-mac or unexpected landing somewhere, it will be good to have extra. 
For international flights, I brought a small carry on suitcase I could fit my boppy pillow in. It was a Godsend for nursing and holding a sleeping baby for long flights. You can also request the bulk head seat on international flights before hand which will include a little bassinet for baby to sleep in. We never used it bc it was too small for my 6 month old, but the extra leg room at the front of the plane was brilliant!

Hope this helps! Comment below with any questions!

<3 font="">

No comments: