Friday, July 29, 2011

This word is not That word

I have decided to start a series of posts dealing with words and phrases that are different here in the UK...Words that I have adopted as my own, words I use while living here to be able to communicate, and others that I wish to never speak again! Haha! Well, I thought it would be fun to let you in on a few of them and for you to decided what you think as well. Maybe there are some you wish to adopt in your household?? (Oh and please make sure to say the UK words with a British accent...it makes a lot more sense).

"This word is not that word"

Nail Varnish (UK) = Nail Polish (US)
(no hard r's now ya'll)

To me, the term varnish has to do with making old wood look shiny...not painting a color on your nails. This is one word that I will not be adopting in my vocabulary even while I'm here bc all I can think of is that horrible smell!!

Serviette (UK) = Napkin (US)

This is a term that I like to say while I'm here bc it sounds fancy. I don't think I will be able to bring it back with me bc I think everyone will just think I'm pretentious.

Hoover (UK) = Vacuum (US)

This term is not just used if you have an actual Hoover brand...it is used for any type of vacuum. It also is used as a verb. I "Hoovered" yesterday...etc. I actually like the way this sounds better than vacuum, so I will probably bring it back with me until enough of my friends get on my case about it!

Let me know what you think :)



1 comment:

Janise said...

My thoughts:

Neither "nail varnish" nor "polish" seem quite accurate. I don't understand why we don't call it "nail paint."

In Spanish napkin is "servilleta." So you may be able to swing "serviette" with in the border states, people won't think your pretentious just bilingual.

Sounds like "hoover" is just like "coke" or "kleenex" is here. I haven't been comfortable with that word ever since seeing Avenue Q. It always makes me think of a certain inappropriate line from "My Girlfriend, Who Lives in Canada." So I'll just be slightly skeezed out when I hear you say you "hoovered."

The end :)