Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hollywood Bowl

Let me paint a picture...

Picnicing with some Brie Cheese, French Bread, Red Wine, Grapes, and pita chips and hummus with friends before a concert in 72 degree weather with beautiful hills/landscape surrounding you. You pick up your free tickets at will call before the show because you have an awesome friend, and go to your really great seats, and then listen to 1 1/2-2 hours of amazing classical music by the LA Phil, or another artist!

Jared and I have been to the Bowl 3 times in July, and 4 times in August so far. I am going 2 more times in September (I think Jared is a little burnt out on classical music, although we did go to Incubus!). We have actually been able to get there early and enjoy our picnic and wine before the concert this summer because Jared gets off at 6! It has been the best summer because we have actually had every week night to see each other and hang out with friends! I feel very lucky to have so much time with the person I love!

I also have to say, I am very impressed with the regulars that I see there. Every time I go, without fail, there they are. Now, these are not your average concert goers. No, these people are not even actually inside the establishment. These, my friends, are the people you see when you leave!

As you walk down the hill from the seating area, you begin to hear what sounds like a man singing "opera." It is not only a man singing "opera," it is a man holding up a dog puppet singing, with one hand on his mouth to cover up the fact he really can't sing without his mouth moving.

Just past the opera dog, you see bright flashing lights. Many hispanic women are selling those light up toys you find at theme parks. I have no idea how they make money, but the kid in the car next to us had purchased one!

Next, you head down the stairs to walk under the street, and you hear a saxophone playing. At first you think, wow, are there drums down there, too. Nope, just a man playing a sax and occasionally a key-tar to a soundtrack of drums. I think this guy actually makes money! People drop bills in there every time I walk by.

Finally, my favorite! You hear some people saying "ha-da" over and over again, and then you smell the delicious meat and onions on the grill. Any guesses...you got it..."Hot Dog"...for sale. They push around a cart with a burner under a cookie sheet and cook the most delicious smelling hot dogs and onions. Jared and I have yet to ever actually try one due to my health standards and the fact that it is usually 11:00 at night, but they smell good!

Now you know what to expect if you haven't ever been to the Bowl before. And if you haven't, please come and go with me sometime, because it is so much fun! Sorry if you don't live here...you are missing out!

No comments: