Monday, January 11, 2010

Delicious Dessert!

Hope you all are still enjoying your new year!

2010 has brought a lot of changes...mostly in our eating habits. We are not going on a diet, but rather changing certain things we buy to try and eat more organic, and eat all natural foods. First of all I was inspired by a book a friend loaned me (Mastering your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels). She talks about a lot more than food, but her food information is priceless! I highly recommend this book! I was also inspired by my friend Kristin who has to eat grain-free gluten-free now bc of food allergies. She is a wealth of information and has a ton of suggestions for home cooking that is healthy, organic, and delicious! We are not going grain-free or gluten-free, but she has a ton of great suggestions! I am probably going to be posting more recipes on here bc I am getting excited about the possibilities of all natural, delicious cooking! I have found a lot of great recipes on wholefoods.com. The following is a dessert that I modified that is low in calories and fat and super delicious!

Blackberry and Raspberry Buttermilk Cobbler

Ingredients:

1/4 c maple syrup (I use Trader Joe's 100% pure maple syrup...this is where you get the sweetness in this dessert)
1 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 c. organic butter
1 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. buttermilk (I actually used 1/2 c. when I made it and pressed the batter over the butter instead of pouring it)
1 6 oz. carton organic blackberries
1 6 oz. carton organic raspberries

Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a medium bowl mix together maple syrup and cornstarch
Add raspberries and blackberries and toss to coat; set aside.

Put butter into an 8-inch square glass pan. Heat in oven just until butter is melted, 4 minutes, then remove and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt then stir in buttermilk and mix until just combined to make a thick batter. Pour into pan over melted butter without stirring. Sprinkle fruit mixture evenly over top of batter and bake until golden and bubbly, 45 minutes.

Only 200 calories per servings, and only 9g of sugar per serving! YUM!

Enjoy! :)

No comments: