Thursday, March 6, 2008

Calming the storm

So here are some more juicy tidbits on this book...
The following quote is one of my favorites of the entire book...it just makes you say mmmmmm....

"Those who have the wind of the Holy Spirit in their souls glide ahead even while they sleep. If the vessel of our soul is still being tossed by winds or storms, we should wake the Lord who has been resting with us all along, and He will swiftly calm the sea."
(See Matthew 8:23-27)

This shows me how un-reliant I am on the Lord even for small storms which translate for me most often to anxiety. I was reminded of my readiness to resort to thinking about different scenarios and worrying about situational outcomes instead of waking the Spirit who can calm all of my anxeity with quiet meditation on who He is and what He has already done in my life! This is what brother Lawrence did, he practiced God's presence in his life so much that he never had to wake the Lord because He was already there with him at every moment.

This is definitely a very difficult thing for most of us to do because we fill our days with unneeded thoughts, worries, and activities all the time.

So, I am doing my best to practice the presence, and not get sucked into the sea of life.

:)

No comments: