Monday, October 13, 2008

Advent Conspiracy

So a friend sent this link to me last night.
http://www.adventconspiracy.org/
I always get nervous when someone points out a new way to get involved to give my resources over Christmas. I am not really sure why. I always loved following the example of my parents at Christmas in buying presents for underprivileged children and taking them to their house. It was so rewarding knowing some of the presents you could have had went to someone else (sometimes your age) who weren't going to get any other presents that Christmas. There are always so many ways to give at Christmas, and I never know which one to do. I am also skeptical of some websites that want you to give online, b/c I am not sure if the money will actually get the the people I intended it for. I am also selfish...not just that I want more presents for myself for Christmas, but I like to buy presents for other people (friends/family), which can also be selfish (feeling great about what I bought someone). So this Christmas, I really want to think about who I am giving gifts to and if my motives are right. I also want to consider what organization I should give any extra money to, instead of just doing what everyone else does. I was also thinking yesterday that I want it to be something within my community of Los Angeles. Not so that I can get something out of it or even that they would come to church, but that they would feel God' love this Christmas. I saw on a link to this same website for the living water organization. They have a picture of someone looking up at a wall that says God is Love. Jared made a really great point to me yesterday that we are sometimes looking at what we can get out of someone when we love them. Jesus never had those motives. I will stop rambling, but I hope you can get something out of my jumbled thoughts.
Much love <3

No comments: