Thursday, October 1, 2009

Flying Lessons

I have to learn two of Robert Dick's Flying Lessons from Vol. II by Saturday the 10th. I just got them in the mail today and realized how difficult they are. There are so many ridiculous fingerings that I have to learn! I always love these extended technique pieces after I figure them out and they sound pretty...BUT, until then, they are sooooo painful. I want to pull my hair out! I think it is so interesting that a composer can hear something so bizarre in his or head, write it out, then have it be so complicated that the person learning the piece can't hear how it goes until he/she learns everything perfectly. When sight-reading other pieces, you can hear the melody right away, even if you aren't expressing it the way the composer intended.

P.S. I have an audition for Debut Saturday that I need to practice for too. Anyone want to take it for me?

No comments: