Tuesday, April 27, 2010

4th Day

I can't believe this is already our 4th day in London.

We arrived Saturday and our trip out here went very smooth. The flight didn't even seem that long. We arrived in Bristol at 8:30 am and took a bus to a train to a taxi to London. We arrived in London by 1:30 and got to our hotel. It is a very nice hotel, but everything is on a smaller scale compared to American hotels. It is in a very cute neighborhood called Westminster which is close to Notting Hill. All the buildings are white with red cherry blossom trees outside. The rest of the day we just poke around this area and got some Italian food and gelato, which was very good!

Day 2 we slept in until 1 pm (we were very tired), and then decided to check out the underground! We got our Oyster cards and made the journey to Jared's office to time it. It only took 30 minutes from door to door, which includes a 10 minute walk on either side of the tube ride. We explored Soho and Covent Garden which was fun. We saw a bunch of runners at pubs and later found out that there is a pub marathon where you drink at different pubs along the route. We also stopped in for FREE to the National Portrait Gallery. It was very cool! My favorite was Judy Dench. Haha! Later we went to a pub ourselves and I had some amazing chicken pie and Jared had "the best Guinness he has ever tasted." We took the tube to another town we thought we might like to live, but it turned out to be a ton of hipsters which were way too cool for me, and I woud definitely not fit there...

Day 3, Monday, Jared got up to go to work and I went to work on flat hunting. This is not easy. It was a lot easier when we first got to LA bc Katie told me how nice Manhattan Beach was, and we just got a place there. Here, I have no clue what any of the areas are really like. I decided to go look at one place with Jared yesterday afternoon which was within walking distance of his work. We figured we might as well go check it out. It was about 300 sq. ft. with a slanted floor after you walked up 4 flights of the crappiest stairs you have ever seen in your life. It was equivalent to $1800 per month! The thing that got me was that it was supposed to be furnished, and that included a bed and a 10 in. TV on the floor! Nice....Also, the agent was acting like this was a great find. Well, I almost started crying after we left, and then proceeded to go back to the hotel when Jared went back to work. I told myself that we would find something decent, and that it will just take time, and not to worry, etc...It was a tough journey home, until I finally found a store! Yay! I didn't think they had stores here bc I hadn't seen any. Turns out what looked like a 7/11 store was an actual grocery store. I went home and made a surprisingly good dinner of couscous, broccoli, and pre-cooked chicken!

Today, Day 4 started off on the wrong foot bc we forgot to turn the phone alarm on when we set it. This is why I must go buy an alarm clock for grown ups today. Jared is supposed to be at work at 9:30 and we woke up at 10. I was also supposed to meet someone to look at an apartment at 10 and 10:45. Luckily, they let me reschedule to this afternoon. I am going to get ready after I finish my muffin and go to Shepherd's Bush to look at these 2 places. They look a lot more promising, so wish me luck!

:) I promise I will have pictures in the next post bc that is way more fun!

No comments: