Thursday, August 19, 2010

Baby/Beauty/Cosmetic Products

Before we moved to London (Jan 2010), I had replaced a lot of our beauty and cleaning products for healthier/greener alternatives (along with food products, drugs, etc.). When we moved here, the stores did not carry many of the products I was used to buying, so unfortunately, I reverted back to my old ways as far as beauty products go (food, too). I was able to find different alternatives in the store here for cleaning products with the "Ecover" brand (which was nice!), but am just now getting settled enough to think about replacing some of the food/beauty products we have purchased (especially with thinking of the baby boy coming and how it even effects him now).

I subscribe to some blogs that offer safe alternatives to beauty/cosmetic products, and I started thinking of the products I would need to purchase for the baby boy! Would I use the ever so popular Johnson and Johnson that most assume is the best product for babies (tear free, etc.)? I decided to go to the following website which lists products with a rating category (0-10) based on their toxicity level.
I was surprised to find that Johnson and Johnson scored a 4. The website is very helpful because it brakes all the ingredients down to describe what specifically makes the product toxic. There is not an FDA standard for beauty products yet, but they are working on the campaign for safe cosmetics here (if you want to learn more):

It is good to be aware of how many beauty/cosmetic products we lather on each day as women, and men (especially on our skin...it's an organ too!).
I have tried my fare share of organic/safe/green products that did not do the job, but I don't want to give up too easily! There are a lot of options out there and the cosmetics database is a wonderful resource to help find out more about products that are and aren't on the shelves of Target (for all of you state side) or Tesco in my case!

Now why, do you ask, am I making these changes. I know I was a skeptic for a long time that all of these changes don't really make a difference (not to mention cost more money). After taking the time to research different chemicals in my products that I had around the house, I was surprised at how many toxic chemicals I put on my body that contain carcinogens, cause neurotoxicity, organ toxicity, are irritating to my skin, are harmful to workers who package the products, or are harmful to the environment. I have also found many resources to make my own cleaning/beauty products (even baby products) to cut costs. Here is a blog which helped me out a lot with the search!

Simple Organic (they have links to a lot more categories besides beauty)

Much love to you all in creating a safer environment for you and your family to live in! Hope these resources are helpful, and let me know of any products that you find that you like!





1 comment:

Alex & Tonya said...

My friend Erin started making everything at home (shampoo, face wash, household cleaners, detergent etc) and has had a lot of success. She has a ton of great resources. She has a blog where she talks about this and other things. It is not an open blog but you can email her if you want more info. tandeherzog@yahoo.com

Glad things are going well in London!!