Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Apples Flambe

Last night we had a collaborative effort to create a HUGE flame in the apple dessert I was making!
It started out with our friend Spencer making the connection that the apples in the skillet with all the cinnamon and brown sugary goodness was a lot like bananas foster. Then, a few minutes later I looked at a huge bottle of rum I had and was like, when am I ever going to finish this! Then, Spencer got a "great" idea and decided that we needed to flambe the apples like they do at fancy restaurants at your table with the bananas foster. Jared grabbed the lighter and the rum, which made me very nervous, and decided he was going to play dessert chef. I was hesitant, but thought, it's a Tuesday night, why not have a little fun!

So, Jared threw the rum on there and the skillet was not hot enough to make the flame on its own, so Jared clicked the lighter and the ENTIRE pan went up in flames. Spencer was like, shake the pan so it goes out, because it just kept flaming! I screamed and I am sure the neighbors loved that, but then the flame went out after Jared tossed the apples a bit!

What a fun night! The dessert wasn't bad either! Again, apples with brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter, how can you go wrong! I will definitely be setting more desserts on fire in the near future!

No comments: