Friday, February 13, 2009

I read this today on John Pipers website about the recession. (Thanks Kimberly!)

This particular quote struck me...

"But if we have tasted the measure of our sin and the magnitude of God’s grace, we will have abundance of joy in recessionary hardships. God’s grace overflowing in Jesus for sinners like us is the most glorious thing in the universe."

I want to be in that place where I have truly tasted God's grace so many times that I have to view it as the most glorious thing in the universe. Too often, I run to materialism and consumerism to fill voids in my heart and to fill my time. As Jared has started his new job, we have been praying that God would show us what it will look like to not just spend money because we want to or just feel like buying something, but to seek His grace first as what will cover us and bring us true joy during hard as well as manageable times. As we have been seeking this change of lifestyle/mindset, God has put some big ticket items in our budget (car repairs, tuition, etc.) preventing us from being able to spend extra money, and causing us to realize what we really need vs. what we want.

The next point in this conversation with myself, and those who are reading this is....when do I taste God's grace, or identify it in my life?? If I am seeing his grace in my life, I must be identifying sin in my life which can be a difficult process. Please pray that I won't chicken out and take the easy road living a stagnant life.

Ask me anything about this! I would love to chat with you! I feel that this issue will continue to permeate our culture as more people are faced with wants/needs, and who they are truly satisfied in.

No comments: