Thursday, February 19, 2009

Homemade vs. purchased

So, I have a question for all of you homemade Christmas gift people out there. I am definitely into crafts and understand how fun it is to make people gifts, but in my past experience, it has cost me MUCH more money to make people gifts than just buy them something. Is the reason you do the homemade just for your own enjoyment, or is it to save money? Because I really don't think it is possible. Material is getting so much more expensive than it was when I was little. I remember making a satin dress with my grandma and it only cost $2.50 per yard. Now it is like $6-10!
Anyway, just curious!

1 comment:

Steph said...

I will be the first to admit, that making gifts CAN cost about as much as buying when everything is said and done. (Not to mention the time.) However, there are a couple of solutions to this. 1. Keep your projects small. The fact that it is homemade will make up for the fact that it might be a little less than what you would normally give.
2. If you're sewing, wait for fabric that's on sale!
3. Start now! It's hard for us to spend so much in one or two months before Christmas, so I have already been working. Plus, I don't want to have 15 homemade gifts to make 3 weeks before Christmas!

That's my 2 cents. I will say, that it is so much fun to make your gifts! And it's always more meaningful. I think you should do it!